The crime of attacking journalists by Israel is not a new practice, during the war on Gaza in 2008-2009 and in November 2012, several attacks and deaths of journalists were documented.
During Israel’s current war on Gaza, the atrocity of assaults on journalists has gone beyond. Since the beginning of the assault, on July 7th, Palestinian journalists and media institutions were massively targeted by Israeli shelling, 8 journalists* were killed and more than a dozen injured, over 15 media headquarters, media vehicles and houses of Journalists were shelled. If that is not a deliberate attack on media, then what is?
UPDATE: when this post was originally published the number of journalists who has been killed by Israeli aggression was 8. This post is now updated with names of another six Palestinian journalists and one foreign journalist who have been killed after publishing the original post. Also, by the end of August, over 45 media headquarters, media vehicles and houses of Journalists were shelled.
Here is the list of Journalists killed by Israeli Military in Gaza during the latest assault, may their souls rest in peace:
1. Khaled Riyad Hamad, (26) was killed on July 20th, 2014, by israeli bombing in Shuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza. Khaled lives in Jabalia refugee camp and works for “Quantinio Agency”.
2. Abd Elrahman Abu Hein, (28), was killed on July, 23rd, 2014 by Israeli shelling on his house inShuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza city, his grandfather, and brother were also killed. Abu Hein works as a producer for Alketab satellite channel, he is the father of one child.
3. Ezzat Dhair, (23), was killed on July 29th, 2014 by Israeli shelling on his house in Rafah city, four of hisfamily members were also killed, Dhair is a reporter for Alhurriya news network.
4. Baha’ Kamel Alghareib, (59), was killed with his daughter on July 29th, 2014 by Israeli shelling that targeted his car in Rafah city while he was taking his daughter to the hospital. Alghareib works as Hebrew editor for Palestine TV.
5. Rami Rayyan, (26) was killed on July 30th, 2014 by Israeli shelling on Shuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza city. Rayyan works as a photojournalist for the “Palestinian network for journalism and media” and was the father of four children.
Here is a video that shows the assassination of Rayan and injuring several others:
6. Ahed Afif Zaqout, (49), was killed on July 30th, 2014, by an Israeli shelling on his house in Gaza city. Zaqout works as a sports commentators for Palestine TV and Alketab satellite channel.
7. Mohammad Daher, (27) was injured severely after Israeli shelling targeted his house in Shuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza city on July 20th, 2014. His father, two brothers and his child were killed. Daher died of his wounds on July 31st. He works as an editor for Alrisalah newspaper.
8. Sameh Ale’ryan, (28) was injured severely after Israeli shelling of Shuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza city on July 30th, 2014, he died of his wounds the next day, July 31st. Ale’ryan works for Al-Aqsa channel.
9. Abdallah Fahjan, (21) was killed after Israeli shelling of Rafah on August 1st, while he was in the street reporting on the refugees who fled their houses due to the Israeli shelling. Fahjan works for Al-Aqsa channel.
10. Shadi Ayyad, (24) was killed while in his house in Alzaytoun neighborhood, East-North of Gaza city, after being bombed by Israeli army on August 2nd. His father was killed two. Ayyad is a freelance journalist.
11. Muhammad Nour Elddin Eldeiri, (26) was injured severely after Israeli shelling of Shuja’iyya neighborhood in Gaza city on July 30th, 2014, he died of his wounds on August 2nd. Edeiri works for the Palestinian Network for Media and Journalism.
12. Hamadah Khaled Maqat, was killed on August 4th, while leaving his house at dawn to cover Israeli shelling on North Rafah. Maqat works for Saja news agency.
13. Simone Camilli, (38) died with another five people on August 13th, in an explosion, which happened while Gaza police engineers were trying to neutralize unexploded ordnance in Beit Lahiya. Camilli is an Italian journalist & works for AP.
14. Ali Shehda Abu Afash, died also in the explosion with Simone Camilli, on August 13th. He was working with Camilli as a translator for AP.
15. Abdallah Fadel, was killed after Israeli shelling ofShuja’iyya neighborhood on August 25th.
*Note: some people include in the list Najla Hamed, student in journalism, and/or Hamed Shihab, a driver of media vehicle in the list, these were both killed by Israeli bombing. I included only those who practice journalism as profession.